Friday, 21 August 2015

How hard/worthwhile is it to repair a washer?

My wife just called, and it sounds like the drive belt of our washer's busted. She put in a load of towels, it filled, and she described what happened as "an awful noise" and "something smelled hot". So she's stopped it and gone about the rest of her errands. A washer's not too complex a machine, so to me that sounds like either the belt's worn out or the motor's going, or both. It's something like 8 years old, so that seems like a pretty acceptable age for something to give out.

I could buy a new washer, but I bet it's cheaper to repair this. Everything else about it's fine. But I need this fixed pretty fast.

The belt sure sounds like something I could repair myself, and looking around the internet there's plenty of guides that make me feel like it's approachable. The motor? I guess if I found an exact replacement part I could probably do it, it shouldn't be a complex next of 50 wires to reconnect. But where do I get parts like this? Or, is this something I should really get a repairman for?

Here's some factors that complicate things, and the actual questions for skimmers:

  • We're in a 3rd floor apartment, and the utility room area's VERY cramped. If I want an uncarpeted workspace, I need to get it out into the halls, so nothing about this will be quick or easy.
  • It's full of water and towels right now, I'd like to talk it into draining itself but can't figure out how. I definitely need to do this before I can move it.
  • Should I tackle this myself, or just find a repair service? How do I find a repair service worth a flip?
  • If I DIY repair, where would I shop for parts? I had a quick look at Lowe's and Home Depot and they seem to sell plenty of hoses, power cords, and stacking kits but not the kind of parts I need, which will be at least a belt and maybe a motor. Is there any chance of a local store that carries what I need?


Submitted August 21, 2015 at 09:49PM by Slypenslyde http://ift.tt/1JpLp8B

No comments:

Post a Comment