Hi there,
I have a project I'm doing which involves multiple 280x280mm polycarbonate transparent sheets. The underside will have a permanent 3 colour graphic printed to it (black, white and silver).
I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, but paint has never been something I've known much about. I also need a repeatable process, as this is for a product of mine.
So here's my idea so far. I would like to know what's good about it, and what's not.
I would like to do a silkscreen process, as it'll allow me a stencil with islands that can be used repeatedly. I can develop these silkscreens myself no problem. The problem comes with deciding on the ink to use. Getting a permanent, paint coat that won't remove itself when exposed to pressure is going to be very difficult with polycarbonate. And using a type of paint that has too good adhesion would likely ruin the silkscreen. The good news is that because the paint is on the underside of the polycarbonate, I can put anything over it to prevent damage that I want, as the graphic will be viewed through the front side of the clear sheet polycarbonate. Though the paint will still be prone to having a little friction on it.
So my idea is to use an acrylic paint. Apparently this isn't easy to get to work, but here are the other products I've heard of and am willing to work with.
-
An acrylic sealer mixed with the paint to improve adhesion
-
An acrylic medium to prevent adhesion to the silkscreen
-
A polyurethane type finish to prevent removal
-
A laminate adhesive plastic layer to prevent any scratching at all of the paint
Any suggestions, especially from someone with experience in this would be very much appreciated.
Submitted September 26, 2015 at 11:35PM by girlusernamecuzgirl http://ift.tt/1KC1UxO
No comments:
Post a Comment