Friday, 25 September 2015

Wiring 240V with a fuse box

First off, I understand electricity. I've wired dozens of outlets, switches, lights, 3-ways, 4-ways, installed new circuits (120 and 240), and even swapped all the circuits from one service panel to another at my cabin. I've taken electrical engineering courses. I get the theory, know safe practice, and even have opinions on techniques. I'm the guy people ask for help when they have electrical problems. That being said...

Can I safely pull 240v out of my rats nest of a fuse box? Just got a new washer, and didn't realize it was 240v (20A). Old one was 120v. I'm used to working with circuit breakers, and in my 10 seconds of googling, I didn't see anything very helpful. It was mostly dealing with circuit breakers, or telling people to hire it out. As you can see, the main fuses are currently being used, and there are additional circuits coming out of it.

Is it even safe to have that extra draw from the existing wiring? House hasn't burnt down in the 4 years we've been here, and we haven't made any modifications to it yet.

Is it possible to get 240v out of a fuse box like this, or would we need to upgrade to a newer service panel?

Is it possible for a skilled amateur (myself) to do this, or would it involve something like killing the main power to the house and tapping into the mains?

Edit: more pictures

It's my [f]irst time, be gentle

The f is for fuse

I think I've figured it out. Found a video that explained the fuse block, so I'm gonna pull power off one of the range blocks and run it over to the new outlet. And yes, I'm killing the power and testing it before I use it.



Submitted September 26, 2015 at 04:58AM by Themata075 http://ift.tt/1Fnb9TL

No comments:

Post a Comment