Saturday, 9 April 2016

Pics of the repair and refinishing of my original heart pine flooring

xpost from /r/HomeImprovement (didn't get much attention there, hope that is ok...) I remember when we got the keys to our 130 year old house, we thought we could get so much accomplished in the month before we moved in….ahahahahaha, well that didn’t work out. One of the larger projects we wanted to tackle was refinishing the original heart pine flooring on the second floor. When we moved in most of it was covered in carpet, the rest had multiple layers of paint. I had to find some heart pine, repair/replace multiple areas of the original floor, get rid of the lead paint, sand and refinish the floors. I wanted to do it all. I’m a total amateur when it comes to this stuff and really only had time on the weekends. I started in July when I found heart pine and the floor was finished in mid-November. Every repair took longer than expected and cost more money than expected. I went from having zero tools to acquiring quite a collection. I originally wanted to do the sanding and poly coating myself, but after seeing how long repairs took, I knew it would take me forever trying to do it over weekends. I have my first kid coming in January 2016 and this project was very stressful as sometimes it seems like it would never get done before the baby came. Feel free to critique and ask questions. it’s too late for me to change anything now anyway. I had some help for some things, but I did the majority of the repairs myself which feels good.

http://ift.tt/1l6HfKr

Costs:

heart pine planks: ~$1000

floor refinishing: $2200

failed paint stripping: ~$400

misc tools/supplies: ~$400

time lost: every weekend for over summer/fall



Submitted April 09, 2016 at 08:44PM by MikeTheVike http://ift.tt/1qDJ7Nt

No comments:

Post a Comment